Soooo…..how’s quarantine going??? Anyone else going crazy yet? Anyone else have cute Easter outfits hanging in closets that will only be seen on Social Media?
I’m gonna come right out and say it- I’m not digging this whole quarantine thing. I’m respecting it, I understand the need, but I am a pretty social person. Also I’m pregnant and I specifically planned this pregnancy around the school year so I could have a break from my older kids. So…..Covid-19, you are kinda the worst.
I’m going to try and give a few ideas for activities each week now that we have a lot more time to fill.
March 30- April 12 Easter: He Shall Rise with Healing in His Wings
Children’s Scriptures: New Testament Stories Chap 44 (begins the last week of Christ’s mortal life)- 54; Book of Mormon Stories Chap 42-47; New Testament Stories for Young Readers Jesus Taught about the Sacrament, Jesus Gave Us the Sacrament, The Easter Story; Book of Mormon Stories for Young Readers: Jesus Visits the Nephites; My First Scripture Stories: The Last Supper, The Atonement, The Crucifixion, The Resurrection, Jesus is Crucifies, Jesus Visits the Promised Land, The Three Nephites; My Book of Mormon Friends: A Young Girl in Bountiful; Girls Who Choose God: Girls and Boys Blessed by Jesus
Song: Easter Hosanna pg 68
Materials: Ingredients for Resurrection Rolls (start putting in a grocery order early in case things are out of stock so you can try again-One can of crescent roll dough, 8 large marshmallows, Melted butter, Cinnamon sugar), selected movies, glove, Gospel Art Book
-Make Resurrection Rolls, and tell the Easter story as you do it
-Easter Movie Night, we will probably watch To This End Was I Born, and one of the VeggieTales Easter shows
-Use a glove and your hand to explain the Resurrection. Explain that your hand is like your spirit, wiggle it and talk about the pre-earth life. Show a picture of Christ’s birth and explain that when you are born you receive a body, put the glove on your hand- the glove is like your body. Show that they can now wiggle and move together. Show a picture of Christ when he was grown and explain that our bodies grow with us. Show Christ in the garden, explain that sometimes our bodies feel pain and that we can use our bodies to pray. Show Christ on the cross and explain that he died for us. Take the glove off and put it in a tomb (under a bowl or something), explain that when we die our body stays here on earth and can’t move anymore but our spirit goes to Heaven and waits. Show Christ resurrected, explain that after 3 days Christ was resurrected and because of that, someday (a long time from now) everyone will also be resurrected, put the glove back on.
-Book of Mormon connection- watch videos depicting Christ’s visit to the people in America:
- Testaments Of One Fold and One Shepherd (this is over an hour long so kids might have a hard time sitting through it, you might just want to show some highlights)
- Living Scriptures Savior in America- if you have the subscription watch the whole thing there, but there are also some clips available on Youtube
- Mark Mabry Photography slideshows:
8 minutes all still images from his Another Testament Shoot- very thorough representation of 3rd Nephi
7 minutes images and video from his Reflections (New Testament) and Another Testament shoots set to my FAVORITE song pretty much ever
April 13-19 Filled with Love Towards God and All Men
Children’s Scriptures: Book of Mormon for Young Readers: King Benjamin Teaches his People; Book of Mormon Stories Chap 12 (first half); My First Scripture Stories: King Benjamin; Heroic Stories from the Book of Mormon: King Benjamin,
Song: When We’re Helping We’re Happy pg. 198
Materials: tent or fort making supplies, service project supplies, Natural Man-Saint Printable
-Set up a tent in your living room and watch videos about King Benjamin- Book of Mormon Stories for Young Readers, Book of Mormon Stories, Book of Mormon Videos
– Discuss some ways you can serve people while still social distancing. There’s a lot of projects that can be done from home based on age and skill level
- older kids (and if you know how to sew- which is not me) could help with making masks or hospital gowns
- draw pictures or make cards to mail to people
- draw pictures and/or write inspirational sayings on the sidewalk in your neighborhood
-Use this printable to discuss the natural man vs. a saint
April 20-26 A Mighty Change
Children’s Scriptures: Book of Mormon Stories Chap 12 (second half)
Song: I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus pg 78
Materials: Steps of Repentance, Grinch book or video, candy or other treats
- Use the Grinch to help children understand repentance and a change of heart. Read the book or watch the movie (the old classic one is available on YouTube). Then use the Grinch steps of repentance printable to talk about the steps of repentance and having a change of heart.
- Give a parent a bag of candy or plate of treats, don’t share them around yet. Have the kids take turns asking for treats. Explain that in life some people have more than others, and people with less sometimes need to ask for help. What should we do when they ask? Find a way to help. Discuss different ways your family can help- donate fast offerings, donate old toys or clothes that you aren’t using, etc. If possible make a donation or pick something out to donate. (Some places are not accepting donations in kind right now, but you can still do some spring cleaning and hide it until things open back up, or select a group to make a monetary donation to.)
April 27- May 3 In the Strength of the Lord
Children’s Scriptures: Book of Mormon Stories chap 13
Song: Latter-day Prophets pg 134
Materials: looking devices, toilet paper rolls, tape, picture of Jesus, People of Zeniff Preparations printable
- Gather whatever devices you can- glasses, binoculars, telescope, microscope, magnifying glass, anything that helps you see things you couldn’t otherwise see. Make binoculars out of empty toilet paper rolls. Use the devices you can find to look at different items. Explain that these help us see things on Earth and in Space that we couldn’t see without them. A seer is able to see spiritual things that Heavenly Father needs us to know. Use the binoculars you made. When the kids put them on put a picture of Jesus in front of them. A seer uses his gifts to help us come closer to Jesus Christ and do what He wants us to do.
- Use the People of Zeniff Preparations printable to discuss what they had and did in their battle with the Lamanites and what tools we have today to be safe in our battles.
Consolidated Materials List:
Ingredients for Resurrection Rolls (One can of crescent roll dough, 8 large marshmallows, Melted butter, Cinnamon sugar)
Gospel Art Book
tent or fort making supplies
service project supplies
Grinch book or video
candy or other treats
toilet paper rolls
picture of Jesus
People of Zeniff Preparations printable